Information we collect and how we use it.
We may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide – When you sign up for an account, we ask you for personal and/or business information. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other Women’s Information Network (WIN) services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
- Log information – When you access the website services via a browser, application, or other client, our servers automatically record certain information. These server logs may include information such as your web request, your interaction with a service, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account. Other information may be collected from time to time.
- User communications – When you send email or other communications to The WIN, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests, and improve our services. When you send and receive SMS messages to or from one of our services that provides SMS functionality, we may collect and maintain information associated with those messages, such as the phone number, the wireless carrier associated with the phone number, the content of the message, and the date and time of the transaction. We may use your email address to communicate with you about our services.
- Location data – The WIN may offer location-enabled services, such as Google Maps or similar services. If you use those services, Google or the selected provider may receive information about your actual location (such as GPS signals sent by a mobile device) or information that can be used to approximate a location (such as a cell ID). These providers may also collect other information. The WIN recommends you visit their respective websites and review their policies.
In addition to the above, we may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, protect, and improve our services (including advertising services, if any) and develop new services; and
- Protect the rights or property of The WIN or our users.
If we use this information in a manner different from the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use. The WIN processes personal information on our servers in the United States of America. It is possible that some of The WIN’s providers, vendors, or affiliates process personal information outside your own country. The WIN has no control over such processing.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some of our website’s features and services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
The WIN only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of The WIN in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information. Note that making a purchase and you providing the confidential personal and financial information necessary to complete the transaction is considered opting-in for use to share the information with our vendors so that we may complete the transaction.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of The WIN, its users, or the public as required or permitted by law.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, including appropriate encryption and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
HOWEVER, computer and internet technology is a rapidly changing industry, and the equipment and software necessary to deliver services online is by its very nature extremely complex. Additionally, some individuals and organizations actively seek to illegally enter computer systems and steal confidential information. The software and hardware may contain unknown or poorly announced vulnerabilities that may allow such thefts to occur despite our security efforts. THEREFORE, you are advised to provide your information at your own risk with the understanding that The WIN is not liable for the results of these vulnerabilities.
We restrict access to personal information to The WIN employees, contractors, and agents who need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use The WIN services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Because of the way we maintain certain services, after you delete your information, residual copies may take a period of time before they are deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems.
The WIN complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. The WIN adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement.